The Art of Fashion

October Covers: The Best of the Rest incl. Cosmo, V, InStyle and Harpers
So my pick of the best of the rest of the October 2011 covers is largely based on my personal taste totally at war with editorial sensibility. Look that Kate Winslet for V magazine cover it super-lovely. Elegant and ethereal and I know it works for their brand. I am just not that keen on old Kate, you know? The Lady Gaga cover of US Harpers Bazaar is kind of a similar situation. It is a massive high impact proposition what with her being make-up free and all, but I simply don't warm to Gaga any more. I am bored of her shenanigans. Although I would still dance to her pop music vibes at a wedding, for example. Obvs.
Then there is the yellow Minka Kelly cover for US Cosmopolitan. I love Minka. She was great in Parenthood and now is filming the new Charlie's Angels. And she has great personal style and an accessible quality about her. Brilliant. But the cover is a bit blah, right? I have to say that the SA version of Cosmo has local model Candice Boucher on the cover (love her) and the cover looks lively as well, so maybe we have to look local to get the balance right? What do you guys think? Which works, which doesn't in your opinion?
Finally, before we close the subject of October covers, let's take a look at the US InStyle cover featuring a pink-haired Katy Perry. It has divided commentators, this one. But I had already decided back at the VMAs, that I liked Katy with pink hair, somehow it pulled her pin-up look together in a way that fully actualises it in a unique way. And why not? It suits her. It looks glossy and bright and happy. And it is setting trends. I give it the thumbs up. Are you on board?
Idle Talk: