The Art of Fashion

Alternative Denim Inspiration

Like many new converts, I have come to denim late and now quite passionately. These days I am obsessed with denim in my wardrobe, but I still want to make personal style statements and avoid looking like everyone else. This is tricky. But this week I came across two great ideas for incorporating denim into my daily diet, without becoming a clone.
First of all Christene Barberich, editor-in-chief of shopping network, Refinery29, was photographed and interviewed about her look and included this vintage Levi’s waistcoat in her favourite things. It got me thinking. With a brands like Levi’s built on the strength of their heritage, surely there are plenty of items, both new in-store and old in the second hand stores that would look fantastic in my wardrobe in a vintage kind of way. Denim is one of the best items to buy second hand as it looks even better as it ages. Brilliant.
Secondly, I came across a quote from one of my all-time favourite fashionistas, Iris Apfel. She said, “…honestly, jeans are jeans. I live in them most of the time, but I had a helluva time getting a pair of jeans around 1940, when I was at the University of Wisconsin. I thought I’d wear jeans, a turban, and some old earrings. So I went to an Army-Navy store, but … the salesman told me, ‘Young ladies don’t wear jeans.’ He wouldn’t sell me any or have them cut down. So I kept going back to the store, and they kept throwing me out, so to get rid of me, they finally ordered me some boys’ jeans. I love men’s jeans; they fit me better.” What? Now that’s an idea. Double the selection when I make my next visit to my favourite Levi’s store down at the Waterfront!
PS: this image of Iris Apfel is from O magazine in the US. I love it!
Idle Talk: