The Art of Fashion

Silver Spoon Do Granny Chic at SA Fashion Week


I was a student in the early 90s when grunge was huge and Singles was the movie du jour. I used to like to think I looked at bit like Janeane Garofalo at the time and was all angsty and intelligent and dry witty.
Sjoeeeee, things have changed since then, but not my love for the look of the time. I call it granny-chic. All granny prints (can you believe it, this is a technical term for the type of floral print...) and socks and lace up shoes, topped off with an oversized cardigan or leather biker jacket. Sound familiar?
And so my love of Silver Spoon has less to do with their design prowess (although good) and more to do with the fact that they have cleverly re-interpreted this aesthetic for 2011. It really is extremely well done. All new ideas, but with a vintage twist.
Their recent Marie Claire Prix de Excellence de la Mode win is well earned, and I was delighted with their collection shown at SA Fashion Awards. I look forward to seeing what they do next.
Idle Talk: