The Art of Fashion

Can Céline Clothes Transform Us?


I think all of us like to think of ourselves as Céline kinda gals. Dressing with simple, clean lines that speak of perfectionists, achieving at our high-flying jobs and up-to-the-minute fashion sense. Looking elegant and impeccable where ever we go. Sigh.
Most of us are just not built that way.
But what is encouraging is the way in which the advertising for the winter line is inclusive of women of all ages. The latest ads, shot by Juergen Teller, cast models in their twenties, fourties and, let's just say, past retirement age. All looking elegant and impeccable.
And then the lovely director/mother/bag designer/writer Sofia Coppola turns up at an event last week looking elegant and impeccable, dressed in Céline and it made me think — maybe it is the clothes that make you look like that...maybe you don't have to be made that way! Now the saving starts.
I am determined I will look elegant and impeccable one day before I retire. I will!
UPDATE: Luisa was just at Apsley 2 at the V&A Waterfront and the dress that Sofia is wearing came in while she was standing there. And some other garments of loveliness. It is my dream.
Idle Talk: