The Art of Fashion

Lanvin for H&M? Are the Teasers the best bit?

The new teaser campaign for H&M is a series of 15 second video clips of cliched "fashion designers" shot in black and white without showing their identity. The best line used is a fashion life lesson. Excuse me as I paraphrase, "In design it is important to be relevant and not cool. Once cool, then cold. Relevant I find is much more important." Think about it.
It is rumoured to be announced on 9th September that this refers to the latest collaboration for H&M — this time with Lanvin and Alber Elbaz. Hmmm. Now don't get me wrong. In my London days I was first in line for the Stella McCartney H&M collection. I was right there on day one for the Karl Largefeld collection (even through Keiser Karl did not agree with them making garments in my size...). And last year I made a special trip to the Jimmy Choo for H&M collection.
Yes, these collaborations make designer clobber more available. It democratises designer fashion and broadens our expectations of what we can afford. Also, it takes the designers and the fashion houses to a broader audience. And it sells darn well for H&M (or Target, or whomever).
But do I want to see Lanvin in this position? Don't I always want to aspire to them, their giddy heights of luxury? Their unattainable beauty? I don't know if this isn't a democracy too far. It definitely isn't cool. But is it still relevant? Or am I just making Uncle Karl's point for him in a different way? Sigh. You decide.
Go and check out the videos on YouTube.
Idle Talk: