The Art of Fashion

Cleo Droomer Takes Elle New Talent Win

Some time ago I was lucky enough to see Cleo's graduate collection along with many of his peers. It was clear that he had something special about his design, a maturity and lightness of touch. I picked him out and posted on this blog that he was one to watch. And now about a year later, he showed a magical collection of digitally distorted prints (I believe from the SA flag) to win the Elle New Talent Award at SA Fashion Week.
It was an astonishing moment when his first look came out. Involuntarily my head whipped round to catch the eye of Chris and Jackie of Elle and the split second eyeball conversation we had said "oh my goodness, we are on to something here."
Gossamer hues, ethereal patterns and a sprinkling of fairy dust and exaggerated female forms were tempered by design details like quilting and exception finishes. The pairing of soft, feminine colours with strong silhouettes was like nectar to a reviewer like me. I sincerely loved it.
His well deserved win sets him on a path of learning with sponsors Mr Price as well as exposure in Elle and blogs like this.
Really, really well played Cleo.
Images from www.elleMagazine.co.za with thanks
Idle Talk: