The Art of Fashion

Stella McCartney for Adidas and Team GB
Did you know that Stella McCartney has been appointed creative director of the British Olympic team for the London 2012 games? The news has been out for over a month and I only just found out. Maybe I am a bit more interested than you may be in this news as I used to work with Team GB (as they are called) around the Athens 2004 Olympic Games. I was living in London at the time and was activating some sponsorship of the team. Previous life. Previous career. But I loved every second of it and the games themselves. If you ever have the opportunity to go to the Olympics, snatch it up in both hands and go, go, go. It is a brilliant and unparalleled experience.
Anyhoodle, Stella has designed up a storm for the team uniforms. Hoodies, shorts, vests, track pants and other such garments and sports equipment have been given the designer McCartney makeover. And it's pretty cool. I particularly love the gold story that is running through the new collection. It is unexpected and totally fresh. And it looks expensive. Not like just standard-issue sports gear. The hoodies too have been jazzed up and look cool enough to want as part of your casual wardrobe. Even for such a non-athlete as myself. It really does look like sport has met up with fashion and had a frank exchange of views. And I for one can't wait till the London games and we can see all our athletes perform and check out the fashion s on Team GB at the same time. Best of both, buddy, best of both.
Idle Talk: