The Art of Fashion

New Faces of M&S: Ryan Reynolds and Rosie Huntington Whiteley
Really, I don't think I could be more surprised if you turned into an alien in front of my eyes. Seriously. I am THAT surprised. After years of advertising that seemed to turn around the fortunes of the retail giant (and second cousin of Woolworths in SA), Marks & Spencer (M&S) has changed tack. Twiggy, Dannii, Lisa and the girls have all been chucked from M&S' new advertising campaign strategy and they have gone all Hollywood. The Daily Mail has revealed this morning that none other than delicious hunk of man-deliciousness, Ryan Reynolds, and Brit girl-slash-model-slash-actress Rosie Huntington Whiteley are the new faces of the brand.
Now let me say that I think these are two of the most attractive peeps on the planet. I think that they are infinitely aspirational. Yes, we would all like to look a bit like them and will buy some togs from you to do so. So far go good. However. And this is a biggie. Apparently the problem with M&S is that it is losing the heartland. The good, middle class, over 20s/30s who keep them in business. Also the larger lady, the non-model figure. So... It seems extraordinary that they would kill off the all-ages approach and go for the young, hip, WASP and sexy one. Um. I dunno if this is exactly a brand-fit.
Of course it is just for their Autograph range for now, so the broader strategy remains to be seen. But fundamentally the match up between Canadian he-man Ryan and a old British brand seems peculiar to say the least. Well for me. What do you think? And does this mean we can get Ryan back to CT for a bit of Woolies advertising action? I wouldn't have a problem with that.
Idle Talk: