The Art of Fashion

Idols Top 10: Goodbye Nolly, Hello Colour?
Dear Dirk*,
I just felt I should write and tell you that I thought you did a fab job with Nolly's outfit for the Idols Sunday show. It was cute, perfectly on-trend and suited her personality and the song she sung. What a pity she got knocked out. I feel quite sad about it, really, especially since you didn't have a chance to put her in the best of the summer's colour blocking frocks, which would have worked so well on her.
Also, can I mention how much I liked Freddie's look? The pea-coat style, the buttoned-up shirt, the skinny jeans — all super-awesome and he looked great. I would also like to see some (girl) colour on him, but I think you have his look nailed. Pity about the hair.
Dave was a blast of joy. Not only was his performance brilliant enough to make my 70-year-old dad take notice of him, but he looked great in red. Yes to more bold colour on Dave. He can take it. Just keep the styling nice and 60s-retro. It suits him so well. And the girls like it.
Finally, props on the elegant styling on Dene and Lefa. Both were styled properly. Both of them had trouble with their performance, but looked good. And it's great, since now I know you can do colour. I was worried since I have never seen you personally wear anything outside the black/white/grey palette. But it's ok. It is possible. Now please can we have more of it. It is very dull and dreary seeing all the singers in shades of grey all the time. And this season is all about colour. Thanks, mate.
Just one last thing. Top tip. Girls with broad beams should never, ever, ever wear a top in a contrast shade that finishes at the exact same place as her broadest point. I felt a world of hurt for Crushanda as the eyes of the nation were irrevocably drawn to her hips with that nice bold horizontal stripe across them. But she got plenty of votes so all is well, just a lil' note for next time.
Ok, cool. Congratulations on a good show. Chat soon.
Lots of love
Robyn
*Dirk de Waal is the stylist on this season of SA Idols. He is awesome. And we share a birth date.
Idle Talk: