The Art of Fashion

Loin Cloth & Ashes by Anisa Mpungwe
Could this be the most beautiful skirt in the land? It is definitely one of them. It is a skirt that my friend Anele has introduced me to by Anisa Mpungwe from the label Loin Cloth & Ashes. Anele now has several of them in her wardrobe. And when I expressed my admiration for her skirt, she promised to hook a sister up. Now look what is hanging on my office rail.
Let me tell you why it may be the most beautiful skirt in the land:
1. It has pockets.
2. It is made from a treated cotton with the gold overlay print that combines the very best of Africa and spangle. You know how I like a bit of spangle. And pockets.
3. It is lined.
4. It fits tight in at the waist and then is a full flare to just above the knee. This may be the perfect feminine design ratio. And so flattering.
5. It is different. Anisa's brand positioning for LCA is "dresses for the woman who dares to be different" and this skirt really encapsulates that daring, implied self awareness and the power that goes with that.
Not only am I loving my new skirt, but I am also super-grateful to Anele for the introduction. Sometimes, even in fashion where we have to be poised for change all the time, we find a comfort zone, designers who we know well and rely on. Watch out Anisa, you are about to become one of my go-to designers. Lucky, lucky me.
Idle Talk: