The Art of Fashion

Idols Top 15 Style: Dave Van Vuuren Takes The Style and Singing Prize
So the first live singing show of Idols was broadcast on Sunday evening — season 7 off to a, well, shaky start. I'm not commenting on the singing, you understand, I leave that to Randall and Unathi mostly. But on the styling. Quite aside from my honest appreciation for the difficulties and limitations that Dirk and team are presented with, I still think the styling was a bit bland this week. Not terrible like the hair. Just a bit uneventful.
Undoubtedly the best dressed person involved with Idols on Sunday night's show was the judge Randall Abrahams. Hands down, the only person who looked polished. Now please understand that I have known Randall for a million years and it HURTS me to compliment him. But I have no choice. You can't fault a bespoke Collar & Cuff Joburg shirt and suit by Mark Gooding's gang at Carducci. Proudly South African too. Great modern pocket square and glasses (Extreme Eyewear, I assume) completed it. Winning.
Of the contestants, Dave van Vuuren did it for me. The amazing new hair style (as I said, a quiff), the denim shirt and the smart shoes all in place. The only tweak I would have made was to NOT tuck in the shirt. Better that way. Otherwise perfection. And the song wasn't bad either.
Freddie van Dango was ok. The hair was terrible. Whose idea was it to put in blonde highlights?? Fire them immediately. How very un-hispter. And we needed a bit of colour in his look. Either in the girls jeans or the girls cardigan — the one he was wearing was a bit drab and butch in my view.
Mark looked absolutely fine but a little pub singer for my liking. Please lose the leather jacket and make him look like a rock star. Starting with no blow drying and flat ironing his hair. Ridiculous. Still, I loved his performance, but I think Axel Rose would have died to see that hair.
Kahludi also looked ok, but a bit suburban. He is such a sharp guy. C'mon. Surely it is easy to make him look good? And Nolly was kind of the same for me. Surely the easiest girl to make look awesome and she just looked fine. Where was the colour? Where was the trend? As a first impression, it was a bit damp.
So while all my favourites looked fine, I think that, in a nutshell, the first show needed more impact and less accessorising. Let's all keep an eye on next week to see who takes the best dressed mantel. I can't wait.
Idle Talk: