The Art of Fashion

CTFW Review: Thula Sindi Brings Ghetto Fabulous to Cape Town
Thula Sindi is easily my favourite designer person. It's a Cancerian thing, maybe, and the fact that Thula is a sincerely nice human. Thula was also one of the first designers I got to know when I returned to SA, and the first collection I ever saw from him made me cry a bit due to the loveliness. And so every time Thula shows a collection I get super-nervous because I WANT it to be good. So badly.
And I am happy to report that his most recent collection at CTFW was, in fact, very, very good. Yay!
Let me explain why. Despite the fact that Thula has never seen a shiny accessory he hasn't incorporated into his collection (boy, does he love an accessory), this collection was perfectly pitched for the modern, urban woman. Sexy, sumptuous, fun, powerful, daring, classic and glamorous, this collection personified who we know as the 'O' woman. The woman of today who strives for more, whilst also acknowledging her blessings. Who works and aspires and then balances it out with a great family and social life. The woman who stands out for all the right reasons.
Maybe I am biased as this collection is so pitch-perfect for my fashion pages that my work is done for me. And maybe I want Thula to succeed more than average. But I reckon that when someone brings a dazzling sensibility to town, you sit up and take note. As much as I love a vintage-inspired hipster vibe, this collection is much more relevant. Much more zeitgeist. Much more fun. Well played friend.
Oh, and BTW, Thula's collection will be available from Edgars soon!
Photos by those guys at SDR Photo
Idle Talk: