The Art of Fashion

Costume Institute Gala 2011 Red Carpet: Chanel and Gucci Winners
Many designers got it right last night at the Costume Institute Gala, and some even got it quite wrong (Marchesa, what happened to you, dears?) But I loved these looks by Chanel, especially that of the annual host of the evening, Anna Wintour. I seldom comment on her outfits as she seldom does anything of interest. Always well presented, Anna Wintour, for once, looked amazing last night in this ombre column of custom Chanel sequin. Yum.
Another look I fell for in a big way was worn by singer Janelle Monae. The Victorian collar and top hat were personally selected for her by Kaiser Karl and I think she managed to capture the tuxedo look with a difference, better than the others who attempted it on the evening.
Another design house that got it right last night was Gucci. Jennifer Lopez was pitch perfect in pink. Although the top and shoulders are a bit fussy, I love the colour on her and the way she accessorised tonally down to her lipstick. I think she looks impeccable.
And, in what has become something of a signature colour for Evan Rachel Wood, she wore a delicately embellished burgundy Gucci number that did her many favours and has really made me sit up and take notice of this emerging style star.
Idle Talk: