The Art of Fashion

Stella McCartney Designs for the Children — And Makes the Moms Happy

On Wednesday evening I went out with my oldest girlfriends. Two out of three of them live in the suburbs. All have kids. And I love them, I do, but there is really very little I can contribute to the conversation. Put simply, I am not a mom. And I therefore have zero cool points, and no credibility. Bummer.
So imagine my annoyance when I discovered on getting home that evening, that earlier in the day designer of my dreams, Stella McCartney, had launched a her first Stella McCartney Kids range. Can you just imagine how cool I would have been if I could throw that little nugget into the conversation?
And looking at them, they are not pretentious or complex. They are wonderfully cute, simple to wash and wear, and perfect for the boistrous child on the go.
That she seem to have got this right might have something to do with the fact that Stella is also a mother of three (with a fourth on the way), and she says, “I wanted this first collection to include basic pieces that are comfortable and that address a child’s needs, without sacrificing the fun and carefree elements.” Some of the items are adapted and shrunken versions from the adult line; others, like the organic cotton pajamas featuring a glow in the dark bumblebee! For both boys and girls, the collection dresses infants all the way up to 12-year-olds.
Idle Talk: