The Art of Fashion

Weekly Round Up with Sales, Whips and Other Stories


Captain's Log 3, Blog Week 130
It has been a loooong week. I have been looking forward to the weekend since Tuesday. Although that may have something to do with the fact that I have not had a completely work-free weekend for an entire month so please forgive me.
1. Something that I don't have cause to comment on very often is men's wear. But I will say that the collection by Ephymol at SA Fashion Week was an eye-opener. Not only was it a significant step up in terms of creativity and design, but it was also startling in terms of the construction detail of the collection. I loved the double, double rear vent, the shoulder insets and the woven leather elbow patches on the jackets. Really interesting and sophisticated.
2. Paris fashion week has now also come to a close, signalling the end of a very long month and a half of international fashion shows. One of the stand-outs for me was the last collection for Hermès by Jean Paul Gaultier. I just really like the rather sinister and deviant use of the riding paraphenalia like the whip and the harness. Borderline fetish, but on someone like Karlie Kloss, just so elegant.
3. Us fashion people get a little bit silly sometimes (or as my super-boss Hurricane Vanessa would argue, pretty much all the time). So the dramatic outcry about Katie Holmes hoiking up the hem of her Louis Vuitton floral dress for a red carpet event this week really shouldn't come as a surprise. But it did. The poor girl looked dreadful, isn't that punishment enough?
4. This week the local fashion market has seen a great triumph with the first local-desigenr Pop-Up Store opening in Sandton's Fountain Court. The cash register's have been ringing, the people have been swarming and local fashion has never been so hot. How cool is that? Very well played Lucilla.
And so it is time for me to go. Leave my fantasy fashion friends behind and restore my energy for a full week of fashion editing and blogging, starting up again on Monday. So for now, it is SG out.
Idle Talk: