The Art of Fashion

Leelee Sobieski in Mary Katrantzou
So I have a few things to say in this post. First of all I love, love, loved this Mary Katrantzou dress on actress Leelee Sobieski. She wore it to the gala opening of the new season at the New York Metropolitan Opera House. This dress is from the fall 2012 collection and it is just a small indicator of a much bigger and brilliant collection. I am so in awe of this collection.
But, sadly, not of her latest work. Did you see the London Fashion Week summer collections? It all started so well. A beautiful set, filled with flowers and looking amazingly springy. It smelled (apparently) and looked like happiness. And then the collection began. And I just couldn't get to grips with it. I just feel it has jumped the shark. Too much. Too, too much. Maybe I will come to change my mind. It has happened before. But for now, I am bitterly disappointed, So I will enjoy the dresses from the last collection as much as possible and hope that we can just skip spring altogether.
One other thing I wanted to say in this post is that Crystal Renn also attended the gala. She accompanied the designer of this elegant and beautiful gold gown, Zac Posen. Doesn't she look good? And yet. Isn't she supposed to be a plus model? It is somewhat apparent that she has lost a good three dress sizes in the past year or so. I am not saying anything negative, just observing that she has gone from a plus girl to something between a European runway model and a Hollywood celebrity on the scale of skinny. I'm not sure that this sends a great message to the fashion industry about the sustainability of the plus girls in the business, although I will say that Crystal looks beautiful in her glittering gown.
Do you guys have a point of view on either of these two issues? Let me know.
PS: My mate Alexa Chung also wore Mary Katrantzou yesterday. LOVE. Really, these dresses are incredible.
Idle Talk: