The Art of Fashion

Gwen Stefani L.A.M.B. Collection 2010/11 — Why Does It Bother Me So?

So here's the thing. I know this is not the first time that Gwen Stefani has appropriated some other culture for her L.A.M.B. collection. Like most people, I thought it was cute when she did the whole Harajuku influence thing. Does that make me a hypocrite now that it bothers me that she has used African prints in her collection?
With Harajuku, she spent time in Japan, got to know the culture, employed Harajuku girls as part of her tour and named an entire line Harajuku Loving. This is informed and empowered appropriation.
With this collection she says she was tired of black and wanted colour. She decided to use the 'tribal' influence for a summer fun, beach girl vibe. What? No, she has not been to central Africa. No, she has not defined what she means by tribal. No, she has not thought through what this means for the people of Africa.
There is a big difference.
By the way, I loved her collection, choice of fabrication aside. And there is a small part of me that thinks that moving traditional African prints into pop culture at such a level is excellent news for those on the continent who manufacture and produce it.
So why does it still bother me so much? Please let me know your thoughts. On the issue and her collection.
Idle Talk: