The Art of Fashion

Emily Blunt for YSL Opium and Dita Von Teese for Femme Totale
Two further fragrance announcements were made in the past couple of days. First, British actress and star of A Devil Wears Prada, Emily Blunt, was named as the new face of YSL's classic scent, Opium. Unexpected. I mean really unexpected. Emily is generally regarded as a light comedy actress or one that does gentle period drama. She does not immediately spring to mind when thinking of heady seduction, right? I mean this is the brand that had size-16 Sophie Dahl draped naked and clutching her bosom for all the world to see on billboards. Is this what is to become of our sweet Emily? And then we hear that her campaign co-star is a leopard. Yes, you heard right. A wild African animal. Well. I for one am clutching at my pearls and wondering what is to become of her. I can't wait to see this one.
One fine woman who is, conversely, all about the power of seduction and using her sexuality, is the glorious Dita von Teese. Her first fragrance is called Femme Totale and was launched yesterday. As the physical embodiment of all that is glamorous, sensual and feminine power, this makes total sense to me. Although I will never understand why we need to say things in French when it comes to fragrance. Weird.
“I wanted it to be a perfume that smelled exactly how I imagined it. I doubt the perfumers in Paris imagined that I would be in their shop almost every day for an entire year,” says Dita Von Teese, herself, describing the work she put into her first perfume. “There were enough moments when I could have easily said ‘this is how the perfume should smell.’ But I wanted it to be perfect, and threw out many previous compositions and refined them.”
Excellent. I look forward to getting a whiff of that one too. What do you think about these two new fragrance developments, peeps? Anything grab your attention?
Idle Talk: