The Art of Fashion

2011 Emmy Awards: Best Dressed
There were many trends on the red carpet at the 63rd Annual Prime Time Emmy Awards 2011. In order to narrow down the best dressed on the red carpet, I chose the best of each of the colour trends to make up the top four. And from that we can pick the best of the best.
Starting with the midnight blue Zac Posen that the mighty Christine Baranski was wearing. A stunning shade of blue. A truly modern neckline design. An elegant silhouette. This is a triumph of a dress. And I love that an older woman is wearing it. This is what class looks like.
But what about my mate Cat Deeley? There were so many pale beaded numbers on the red carpet, but hers was by miles the best of the night. Of course it doesn't hurt that she has tumbling locks of golden hair to go with it. But still she is a genuinely smiley and fun person on the red carpet so kudos to her and her Monique Lhuillier dress.
And even I will admit that Kate Winslet looks a-may-zing. By which I mean I don't love her, but I do love this look. It is from the resort collection of my favourite red carpet designer, Elie Saab. And it is an unexpected choice (what? no beading) but a stroke of genius as it looks perfect on Kate. It suits her no-fuss approach to evening dresses.
And finally, my wildcard addition, and the best of the black dresses. For me. I know. Contentious. And I have never watched or shown any interest in Game of Thrones (in which this lady, Lena Headey stars). So this is completely unbiased. I just super-love this look. Particularly how simple it is and how easy it fits. And then the belt. More about belts in other posts. Brilliant.
And then just one more thing. Just because. Is this not the most divine combination of beautiful and stylishly dressed people you ever did see — Rob Lowe and Sofia Vergara? They held an impromptu beauty pageant for the best comedy actresses and it is the reason to go home and watch the Emmys tonight on your televisual box.
So who was your favourite favourite? I am choosing Christine Baranski. You?
Idle Talk: