The Art of Fashion

Man Day: The Life and Style of Oliver Hermanus
A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to meet a talented young guy called Oliver Hermanus. My friend Talia introduced us. And he needed a bit of help with his wardrobe. You see, he had to go and interview for a film programme with Cannes and wanted to look his best. Also, he had the pesky duty of touring the film festivals of the world with his first movie that he wrote and directed, Shirley Adams, and needed to look half decent for the premier red carpets and photo calls. So I lent him a hand. He also wanted to represent South African fashion while he was out and about. Awesome. I introduced him to Stiaan Louw. They hit it off super-well. It's amazing to see two young and talented people spark off each other. I also introduced him to Mark Gooding and his team at Carducci. And between them they kitted him out and he was off to seek his fortune.
Fast forward two years later and Oliver picked up his first Cannes award, the Pink Palm, for his film Skoonheid, which he also wrote and directed whist a part of the Cannes programme. Yes he got in.
And about a week later I looked at my Facebook page and saw a message from him from about a month before asking me to help him out again. I didn't even see it. How bad did I feel? He managed to get his own wardrobe together for the event, no thanks to me, although obviously forgot the haircut, and off he went to Cannes. Whereupon he was invited by none other than fashion-dude and film-chap Tom Ford whether he would like to be fitted for a suit for the red carpet. Um, sure, why not.
And while he was being fitted for his Tom Ford suit, guess who else was being fitted? Well, none other than that dashing chap Ryan Gosling. So really, I like to think that I did him a FAVOUR.
Anyway, congratulations to a Cape Town boy made good. I am sure he will go on to represent South Africa admirably both in film and fashion. And if any other local men's wear designers want to get in on the action, I suggest you hurry up. BTW, he likes a skinny leg and a fitted top — casual and lean. Go.
Idle Talk: