The Art of Fashion

Africa Fashion Week 10 — Day 4 Notes

1. Hair and make-up throughout the week was of a very high standard. There were some highlights with the faces at Heni, Tlale and KLuK all standing out. But really jolly good work there team.
2. There is a great deal of subjectivity involved in reviewing fashion, but I usually follow a very clear set of principals: fabrication, construction, narrative. If you win on all three, you have my vote. If you miss on the first, I don't even get to the rest.
3. I've said it before and I will say it again, music can make or break your show. Choose wisely (like Fabiani) or if in doubt consult Martin Myers. Not sure how many times I must say this.
4. Hats off to Carducci men. Fresh and interesting is hard to achieve in men's wear and Baker, you did it.
5. I WANT that khaki skirt and dress from Carducci Women. Francois, you phone is ringing already.
6. I forgot to mention how hard Basetsane Kumalo rocked a sequin vintage jacket and knee-high socks during fashion week. Super cool. The lovely Terry Pheto also looked good throughout the week.
7. If any of you watch All Access, Studio 53, A-List, Style Report or SABC3, please let me know what you think of my comments. I probably won't catch any of them, so any feedback is welcome.
8. Thanks to Simon Deiner for all the photos.
Idle Talk: