The Art of Fashion

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Go to Canada. But What Did She Wear?
I watched quite a lot of the TV coverage of the departure, landing, walk about and evening BBQ reception of the royal couple's first overseas tour to Canada. Quite aside from the fact that I feel like I am eight years old again, and that I clearly need to start turning up at some of those fashion functions I get invited to...I was thrilled with the experience. Let me say a few things up front:
1. Our Kate Middleton is a fashion diplomat and so preternaturally gifted at getting it right I have no words to describe her fashion genius. Aside from the shiny pantyhose;
2. All the ordinary folks that met them spoke of Kate's incredibly positive energy and friendliness;
3. I watched and listened as they chatted to the students at the BBQ — they seemed genuinely interested, made some jokes and had a cool chat. I wanted them to be chatting to me;
4. Kate's standard make-up look needs work. I like the nude lip and the slightly smokey eye and love the light blush. I hate the heavy-handed eye liner. Someone has got to say something;
5. Kate is planning on one outfit per day, with a second if there is an evening function. Nothing gratuitous. Thirty looks in total and using borrowed samples in some instances to keep costs low. Seriously.
6. HRH The Queen has given Kate her pick of her jewellery collection for the trip. So far she has stuck to her own small pieces, but will break out the big guns especially in LA.
So let's talk fashion folks.
Kate kicked off the tour low-key style. A simple, classic navy shift from Roland Mouret, navy jacket with gold buttons by Canadian house Smythe les Vestes (going for $920) and some navy Manolo Bhlanik heels. The most exciting element of this look was the new season Mulberry handbag. As a collector of this label, I am super-jealous. Totes want it.
Then she landed in the genius navy lace Erdem dress. Canadian designer who lives and works in London, favoured by the slightly edgy formal dressers like Lady Helen Windsor. This is resort 2012 and almost certainly a sample, but it fitted perfectly. She teamed it with her fave LK Bennett nude heels.
Finally Kate turned up at the braai in her go-to designer Issa. Again, keeping things familiar and natural, she wore it with her usual wedge sandals and didn't change her hair or make-up for the occasion. Pitched perfectly. Well played for Day 1. What do you guys think? Which was your favourite look of the day? I am looking forward to your answers!
Idle Talk: