The Art of Fashion

When is an Unfinished Collar Just and Unfinished Collar?

So in the interests of full disclosure, I must say that I am a bit grumpy. I feel a little cheated and ever so slightly disappointed. Also a smidgeon appalled. But that's altogether another story. OK.
So I went to the exciting Whatiftheworld gallery/design studio last night to see a display of new men's wear. I was rocked by Christopher Strong (designed by Elaine du Plessis) and will hunt them down for super chats and possibly some items as soon as I humanly can. Lovely.
And then, as you would expect with a group of new designers, the rest was interesting. Glad I saw it, but not in a rush to find out more quite yet. A bit more work and application, and we may have something there. And I know that there is a crowd of booing right now from all the trendy EVOL kids who love it all. But let's be honest. It is relevant in the main, but much work to do to get it all up to scratch. Lots of potential.
And I really hope that that the designers listen up. Please don't think that you are fully baked quite yet. Even Stiaan Louw, men's wear designer extraordinaire and leaps and bounds more evolved than these guys, is in a continual quest to learn more and improve and grow.
So my message to the creative lovelies from last night — work harder, apply yourselves, learn new techniques, evolve and grow and understand your market, your design aesthetic and your potential. Understand production and marketing. But also study pattern making and construction. Get to grips with tailoring. And remember, an unfinished collar/cuff/hem is not a 'thing', it is just an unfinished collar.
OK? Super.
Idle Talk: