The Art of Fashion

Man Day: History of the Trucker Jacket
I know I am not a bloke, but the quest for the perfect denim jacket (aka the Trucker Jacket) this winter is a top my mind as I am sure it is for you guys everywhere. I mean a classic wardrobe is not complete without one. And this year, when wearing denim on denim is not only acceptable, but encouraged, it is so much more essential. So I asked my mates at Levi's about denim jackets and found out that the classic jacket has actually had several iterations over the years.
Can you believe that the first denim Trucker Jacket was made in 1905? That's over a century ago, chaps. And yet it still looks so fresh and modern. What I found equally interesting was that the last revision on the classic shape (after Iconic Type I in 1936, Type II in 1953 and Type III in 1967) was the addition of the side pockets in 1984. It was this version that I bought myself on my first visit to London and wore throughout the Bros years and well into the early Maroon Five decade. How I wish that I had hung onto that jacket now as this season really begs to have it back.
And I don't think that there is a leading man in Hollywood or Nashville or London who doesn't own one. Just starting with the delicious Jake Gyllenhaal and hipster actor Ryan Gosling. Obviously I have not missed an opportunity to celebrate Kelly Slater again in his. Or popped a cheeky pic of Becks in here too. Fun. Click on the pic to make it bigger for a closer look.
Idle Talk: